Millions of people experience real-life adventures with our apps. We help people all over the world discover the best hiking and biking routes, empowering our users to explore more of the great outdoors. And we’re good at it: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and, with more than 10 million users and 100,000 five-star reviews - komoot is on its way to become one of the most popular cycling and hiking platforms.
Join our fully remote team of 60+ people and change the way people explore!
As komoot’s next backend engineer, you join a highly-motivated team of tech enthusiasts. We are focused on impact, that’s why we love to find simple and smart solutions to complex problems, and embrace modern technologies to face our tough challenges.
Join us if you live and love infrastructure as code, automating workflows, x10 scaling challenges and building resilient, self-healing micro-services.
Why you will love it
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users to enjoy the great outdoors
- Positively impact millions of users directly with your onboarding project
- Due to the nature of our data and our scale, you will face interesting challenges that take innovative, non-standard solutions
- We believe good ideas count more than titles
- You’ll take ownership over your projects from day one
- Small overhead: you will work in a small and effective cross-functional team
- You’ll work together with enthusiastic engineers, hikers and cyclists.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, your house, co - working location of your choice, our HQ in Potsdam or anywhere else that lies in any time zone situated between UTC-1 and UTC+3
- You’ll travel with our team to amazing outdoor places several times a year to exchange ideas, learnings and go for hikes and rides. Check out this video to find out more about our team.
What you will do
- Implement new product features closely with client developers, designers, copy writers, quality assurance, data scientists and product managers
- Keep our system state-of-the-art and resilient for our fast growing traffic
- Develop end-to-end solutions including concept, road map planning, implementation, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Build new micro-services with Kotlin and AWS, and improve existing ones
- Work on high-traffic online services (like REST APIs) and offline workers for data crunching
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in developing distributed and resilient web applications
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with Kotlin, Java or Scala
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Have experience with Infrastructure as Code, continuous integration & deployment and monitoring
- Enjoy paying attention to details and care about solid solutions
- Are a great communicator in a diverse team
Sounds like you?
Then send us the following
- Your CV
- A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, PDFs, Slideshare, etc.)
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one